Monday, June 27, 2011

Strays

Yesterday I found a stray dog. He's cute and loving and stinky and dirty and flea ridden and I don't need another dog. I have to keep reminding myself that he's not our dog and won't be our dog. A little over a year ago I discovered I have severe allergies- to cats, mold, dust, cedar, and dogs. I already had a dog at the time and ended up getting another one not long after that. My allergy doctor told me that most folks with allergies will do any and everything possible to stop being sick EXCEPT get rid of their dog. I am not the exception apparently. I know, despite the happiness my children now feel at the thought of having another dog, he will have to find a new home. I know, although my husband LOVES animals (especially dogs) he can't keep him. In fact, my Honey has made it perfectly clear that he doesn't clean up after the dogs so it's not really up to him. I have a hard time turning away living things that are lonely, sick, endangered, hungry, cold, sad looking, cute.....anything that would make anyone take pity and love them. This doesn't just go for dogs. I have had cats, birds, reptiles, etc... all in the name of helping out. Of course, the birds were solely for the purpose of rehabilitation. Injured wild birds don't make good pets. Over the years, we've had a few people we've taken in too. I'm a sucker for a stray. I think it comes from being a stray myself and being taken in by kind and loving people.

No comments:

Post a Comment